Our History

Oak Brook Community Church is a Fellowship of the Assemblies of God that welcomes people from all backgrounds. OBCC is associated with the world's largest Pentecostal denomination—the 32 million-member Assemblies of God cooperative fellowship. 

The genesis of OBCC began in 1935, on the corner of North Ave and California St. in Chicago as a tent revival held by J. Robert Ashcroft. The congregation of that fledgling assembly eventually established themselves as a church known as Calvary Tabernacle, and began meeting in a former bank building until purchasing property on North Ave. The church continued to grow and in 1954 purchased property at 5100 W. Diversey, completing construction of a new church building in 1955.

Outreach to the community has been part of our DNA from the beginning. Calvary Tabernacle’s growing bus ministry enabled many kids and teens to attend Sunday School and Friday night children’s programs, learning about Christ’s love. In partnership with several neighboring churches, Calvary Tabernacle established Chicago Christian Academy, a Christian elementary school, in a building on the church property. In 1971 the church established a 24-hour hotline to offer assistance to those trapped in addictions and self-destruction. It was manned by Calvary’s high-school and college students.

By the early 1970’s the church was outgrowing their building and needed to expand at their current location. Due to a lack of space they began looking for a new location. After a careful search, seeking God’s direction, and a series of miracles, the congregation purchased approximately 18 acres of land on the corner of Midwest Road and 31st Street in Oak Brook and began the process of planting a new church.

Oak Brook Christian Center held its first service at Butler Elementary School on York Road in October, 1974, and for the next few years continued to meet there on Sunday mornings. In November, 1975, Sunday and Wednesday evening services were added at St. Joseph Seminar (across Midwest Road, where Trinity Lakes now stands). In 1978, OBCC completed construction and opened the doors on phase one of our current facilities. (Calvary Tabernacle continued to hold services in the Chicago location as well, until October, 1975, when they completed sale of the property to Evangel Assembly of God which still operates at that location.)

A period of rapid growth resulted in the construction of the second phase of the church building in 1992, adding our current auditorium. In early 1999, the church changed its name to Oak Brook Community Church.

Since its inception, OBCC has continued its passion for outreach. Through the years it has taken the form of ministries such as a counseling center, thrift store, a bus ministry to the Brandywine subdivision, Oak Brook Christian School, Awana and Sonlight programs. Today we continue to reach out to our community through programs like Bridges, International Student Ministries, and our Spanish congregation.

Pastor Chip Block, D.Min., is the ninth Lead Pastor to serve OBCC in our 70+ year history. He is passionate about empowering people to reach their world with the love of Jesus Christ.